[Vm-dev] VM packaging for Cog transition

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Nov 8 03:29:56 UTC 2010

On 11/7/2010 12:27 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> The above is just my $.02 to get the discussion started. What do others think?

I don't really have any skin in the game since this is a Unix specific
issue (i.e., the "squeakvm" dependency) that doesn't really apply on Mac
or Windows. That said, I'll add my $.02 by saying that in our Linux
production systems we do exactly what you were proposing, i.e., we have
fallback VMs installed side-by-side with the latest and symlink the
desired VM. That makes it very easy to switch the default *and* allows
you to be explicit where you want to (i.e., by executing from the
linked-to location).

Cheers,
   - Andreas