[Vm-dev] Re: latest vmmaker wont run with pharo 1.1.1 (dev)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Nov 8 09:36:45 UTC 2010

On 11/8/2010 1:30 AM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

>>> Reverting would reintroduce getting invalid results from the plugin,
>>> without any workaround.
>>> Not really an option.
>>
>> You could just fix the problem, you know :-) Seriously, if there's a
>> bug in the plugin, perhaps we should fix that problem? After which
>> reverting the method is obviously the correct solution for this problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    - Andreas
>
> Oh absolutely, you just have to add the disclaimer: "Only run this image
> with a VM built from VMMaker with an image version newer than XY (Pharo)
> or ZI (Squeak). :-) (Which is what I meant with reproducibility issues, btw)

Only for an interim period and only if you intend to use VMMaker.

> As for why I haven't just fixed it:
> For it to work correctly, I can't really see any way around choosing
> different paths based on whether either/both of the arguments are
> WideStrings.

Let's start with a more basic question: What is the supposed problem? It
may require different code paths, but it may not. Depends on what
exactly the problem is.

> I was of the assumption you could only do type annotations in code
> primitives written this way, not lookup classes etc. I'd be delighted if
> that were incorrect, or there's some other way to differentiate the two
> my limited VM knowledge does not cover.
>
> I imagine the match table part would have to be rewritten as well if one
> wanted to use it for Unicode-aware caseinsensitive search, there are
> 1050 1:1 upper/lowercase mappings in Unicode, last one at codepoint 66639.
> So in that case there's more work than one would expect, and a good
> solution would not be backwards-compatible either way.

See above. I'm not clear what problem you're trying to address; it would
help to state that clearly - perhaps you have a test handy that
illustrates the problem?

Cheers,
   - Andreas