[Vm-dev] VM packaging for Cog transition

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Tue Nov 9 20:06:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> Sigh. You're reading selectively ;)
>
> We *are* going to have an interpreter for existing images. This has nothing to do with the stack/cog vm.

To put it another way, there may well be need to have both Cog and
Stack VMs installed alongside each other, even on x86. It seems
superfluous, but why make that scenario difficult? I say the previous
suggestion makes the most sense:

squeakvm-cog
squeakvm-stack
squeakvm-interp.

If we're planning to maintain these three variations going forward, we
shouldn't use version numbers to differentiate between them. Someday
we'll be releasing version 6.0 of the interpreter, and it makes no
sense to have that binary be called squeak4.

Colin