[Vm-dev] VM packaging for Cog transition

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Nov 9 21:17:17 UTC 2010

On 11/9/2010 12:55 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 9 November 2010 12:25, Bert Freudenberg<bert at freudenbergs.de>  wrote:
>>
>> I'd love to have this structure. Making the platform names more uniform is good. Though I'd retain the space in "Mac OS" because many files in that subtree contain spaces, and it's a visible reminder of that.
>>
>> Shouldn't we have a single folder for generated plugins? Also, I always felt that "src" was misleading. So how about this:
>>
>> platforms/
>>         Cross/
>>         Unix/
>>         Mac OS/
>>         Win/
>>         iOS/
>> generated/
>>         interp/
>>         jit/
>>         stack/
>>         plugins/
>>

> i like this separation. Ookay, Andreas insists that generated files
> should be version controled. No problem.

I'm not insisting. I'm just saying that we have them in version control
so that we can reproduce our production VMs faithfully on all platforms.

> But existing files layout makes it hard for newcomers to distinguish
> generated sources from hand-written ones, which often leads to
> problems "i lost, i can't compile it ".
> So a clear separation of generated sources from hand-written ones is
> important improvement.

I'm missing something. The current structure allows for the above. If
you'd like to check out for example
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-4.1.1-src.zip you will
see that the structure is -guess what- almost identical:

platforms/
	Cross/
	Win32/
winbuild/
	src/

The generated sources are inside winbuild (for historical reasons) but
they are *very* clearly separated from the hand-written stuff. I'm not
sure why everyone is so excited about a layout that we already support?

Cheers,
   - Andreas