[Vm-dev] Re: Strawman proposal for m17n

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 17:41:06 UTC 2010

On Saturday 16 Oct 2010 5:42:44 pm K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> 2. Henceforth all VMs will encode all char inputs in utf8 except for
> non-en  Latin1 locales. For these locales, latin1 will be used by default
> and utf8 if -compositioninput is used. The new VM will pass a dummy button
> on startup to signal input encoding, or we could introduce a new primitive
> to signal this state. New images can use it to unify clipboard and input
> interpreters. Old images can be patched to work with new VMs.
I discovered one more option to bring in m17n without affecting existing
deployments.

M17n environments use XMODIFIERS to define X11 input methods (XIM). It is set
to none for legacy X clients. E.g.
    $ XMODIFIERS=none squeakvm

Therefore, we can modify platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c to check if
XMODIFIERS is set to anything other than none. In that case, x2sqKey can parse
UTF-8 sequences to UTF32 in utf32code and MacRoman in evt at: 3.

Subbu