[Vm-dev] What is meant by 'shrink' in the VM parameters?

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Oct 22 13:24:44 UTC 2010

I'm wondering what 'shrink' means in the following VM parameter
comments:

"24 memory threshold above which shrinking object memory (rw)"

and

"32 number of shrink memory requests (read-only)"

My first thought is that a shrink represents Squeak release memory back
to the operating system once it is no longer needed.

As I've mentioned before we are trying to reduce the RAM footprint of
the www.squeak.org process and are watching various related figures.

We can see the value in VM parameter 32 increase, but while the value
for parameter 3 (end of memory) goes down as you would expect, the
operating system's view of the memory usage does not change.

Ken