[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] is it possible to know the memory occupation (bytes) of an object?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 07:36:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Nicolas Cellier <

> 2010/9/27 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
> marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's wrong. Shouldn't this answer 0?

> least) and 0 would be "correct" answers in their own ways. 8 is definitely
> wrong though :)
> >>>>

> >> So....what should we consider for SmallInteger ?   4 bytes or 0 bytes?
> >
> > 0 bytes, obviously.  The only space occupied by a SmallInteger is the
> space of the slot containing it.  There is no SmallInteger object beyond the
> slot.
> >

> Or from another POV, it's 4, the size of the slot. But we don't count
> the size of the slots, they are already counted in the containing
> object, that's why it should answer 0.

Thanks for the answers. I finally let this:

sizeInMemory
    "Answer the number of bytes consumed by this instance including object
header."
    | isCompact headerBytes contentBytes |

    "SmallInteger occupy 0 bytes since the only space occupied by a
SmallInteger is the space of the slot containing it.  There is no
SmallInteger object beyond the slot. From another POV, it could be 4, the
size of the slot. But we don't count the size of the slots, they are already
counted in the containing object, that's why it should answer 0."
    (self isMemberOf: SmallInteger) ifTrue: [^0].

     contentBytes := self class instSize * Smalltalk wordSize. "inst vars"

     self class isVariable ifTrue:[ |bytesPerElement|
            bytesPerElement := self class isBytes ifTrue: [1] ifFalse: [4].
            contentBytes := contentBytes + (self basicSize *
bytesPerElement)].

     isCompact := self class indexIfCompact > 0.
      headerBytes :=
                    contentBytes > 255
                        ifTrue: [ 3 * Smalltalk wordSize ]
                        ifFalse: [isCompact ifTrue: [Smalltalk wordSize]
ifFalse: [2 * Smalltalk wordSize]].
            ^ headerBytes + contentBytes

Now I wonder...maybe instead of doing this it is easier to have a primitive
that just calls #internalByteSize: ?
The problem of course is that it needs changes in the vm...

cheers

Mariano