[Vm-dev] Cog: A question about: setInterruptCheckChain()

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 09:20:38 UTC 2010

On 30 September 2010 12:11, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yep. Been there , did that :)
>>> I had implemented own automatic code generator which generated
>>> bindings for my abandoned smalltalk interpreter.
>>> I used SWIG C++ compiler by writing own plugin to it.
>>> So, what is stopping us from either use SWIG, or write own C/C++
>>> parser/compiler for automatic
>>> generation of external library bindings?
>>
>> Someone needs to do it :-)
>>
> Amen :)

>>> Oh, please. I worked more than 2 years on single big C++ project, in
>>> Visual Studio.
>>> STL, templates, threads, 10 minutes of compilation time, incredibly
>>> hard to move ahead,
>>> incredibly hard to reproduce errors (since after 'fix' you were always
>>> had to restart program and
>>> repeat all steps which may possibly triggered bug). I am sick of C, really
>>> sick.
>>> If it would be so easy to develop in C, then no one (including me)
>>> would even look into smalltalk direction.
>>
>> This isn't my claim. My claim is that for *platform integration tasks* C is
>> superior. Not for general software development. But for a plugin that reads
>> and writes the windows credential store, for a plugin that reads and writes
>> the Apple keychain, for a plugin that interfaces with sockets, for a plugin
>> that deals with platform windows, C/C++/C#/ObjC are the better choices.
>>

> How i could argue with that?
> Of course for interfacing with C, C is better than any other language. :)

And yeah, but then you still will need to interface C with smalltalk.
And here where fun starts (see VMMaker & slang voodo).
So, no matter how much additional C code you write, it makes not a bit easier
to use it from smalltalk :)

Of course, automatic library bindings could help with it, but they are
also having own limitations.
For instance, how you suppose to reflect a C++ class with multiple
inheritance in smalltalk? :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.