[Vm-dev] Event VM: current status?

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 13:53:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

It is my understanding that the version of Squeak VM ("Event VM") that
was used in the original Android port (and the same I am using in my
fork) differs from the "mainline" VM that interpret() is not an
infinite loop but rather a handler of some events queue (a ring buffer
as I conclude from the sources) which returns once the queue is empty.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

There is a zip-file (witn a Windows executable inside) for this VM
dated 13-Nov-2009. Has there been any progress since? Can the event VM
be recreated these days using VMMaker and related tools, or was it an
ad-hoc modification of a VMMaker code output?

Such VM looks very convenient for embedding (just like the Android
port is an example of embedding into JVM), so Squeak might be used as
a very powerful GUI frontend library with backend being anything else.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web