[Vm-dev] Documenting which GCC version is supposed to be used

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 17:03:04 UTC 2011

Hi. Coming from the problem of the "-mno-fused-madd"  and some personal
comments from Andres, I think it is important to know and document which is
the GCC version  that is expected to work (taking into account all compiler
flags for example).

Now that we have the CMakeVMMaker classes, I think it may be a good place to
put such info in class comments and class side methods. For example, in
SqueakDBX, in the OpenDBX class (which is the class that does the binding
with FFI to OpenDBX) I have a class method  called  expectedOpenDBXVersion
which is something like.

expectedOpenDBXVersion
^ '1.5.6'

So...when I update SqueakdBX to use a new version of OpenDBX I just change
that. In addition, in the documentation (the website) I document that the
OpenDBX version they should use, is defined in #expectedOpenDBXVersion.

Maybe something like this can be done in CMakeVMMaker classes.

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com