[Vm-dev] Platforms Layout?

Stefan Marr squeak at stefan-marr.de
Tue Apr 12 17:20:28 UTC 2011

Hi Ian:

On 12 Apr 2011, at 01:59, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> I'm not sure you'll find much that could be called "principle" here, but try this:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2105
Thanks, that gives some overview, but I fear the current repository structure is, ehm, evolved.

And I have the strong urge to refactor the structure.

In case there is some interest from the VM people, maybe it would be possible to come up with some common structure we all can live with.

Important properties for me would be:
 - separate build infrastructure, not intermingled with the code
   I think, currently the SqueakVM uses cmake, and I hope that is platform independent.
   The iOS Squeak VM uses Xcode projects, but I hope that could also be organized a bit more, ehm, careful too.
 - separate directory for the generated code
   so that either the SqueakVM code can be generated into it, or the RoarVM code is just present there for instance
 - other resource would ideally also separated, so that I can just grab the essential parts and don't need to worry about the rest, when I sync code with the RoarVM.

Bye the way, in the unix folder, the vm-display* and vm-sound* things, are those plugins?
Do they related somehow to plugins, or is that really something that belongs where it is currently?

Thanks
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr