[Vm-dev] How to generate a consistent iOS and Unix VM?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:24:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 April 2011 14:33, Stefan Marr <squeak at stefan-marr.de> wrote:
>
> > Again: why can't I set platformsDir to a path of my chose, which
> *eventually* will contain the right code? The code generation does not seem
> to depend on it.
> >

> good point.
> The source code generator don't needs platform files.

and what are the uses of #platformRootDirectory, #platformDirectory, etc ...
why we set #platformRootDirectoryName:   in Cmake ?

> The cmake configuration generation needs only a dir name (so it will
> generate configs which pointing to that path).
> But the problem is (if i remember correctly ), that i use platforms
> path as a default anchor point , starting from which, all other
> directories are assigned by default.

no, I think you use topDir instead.

> So, if you set only platform sources path, then you will get:
>
> root:
>
>  platforms/..
>
> build:
>
> platforms/../build
>
> src:
>
> platforms/../src
>
> etc.
>
> Therefore, since code generator writes files to src and build dirs,
> you cannot leave platforms dir unspecified.
>
> But of course, when you specify all output dirs by yourself , then it
> should not force you to use valid (existing) platforms dir anymore.

But it does.

prepareVMMaker

    | maker allPlugins |

    "In CogVMs (in contrast to Interpreter VM) the generated sources are
platform independent, therefore Cross is ok"
    maker := VMMaker forPlatform: 'Cross'.

    maker sourceDirectoryName: self srcDir.
    maker platformRootDirectoryName: self platformsDir.

I don't understand.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com