[Vm-dev] Re: What is exactly the problem when evaluating stuff from Workspace and Cog?

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Thu Apr 28 11:42:34 UTC 2011

On 28.04.2011 13:25, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> No one?  and if I need to intercept this messages inside the VM, is
> there another special place than the regular #commonSend ?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <marianopeck at gmail.com <mailto:marianopeck at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi. Sorry for my ignorance, but I remember hearing about that
>     evaluating stuff from a workspace may not be the best choice when
>     we want to test stuff on Cog. And in fact, today I suffered that.
>     I put a breakpoint in the method lookup, where the dnu is thrown.
>     And then from a workspace I executed:
>
>     TestCase new adasdassad
>
>     And didn't stop. Then I put that in a method:
>
>     MyClass >> blah
>     TestCase new asdadsadasda
>
>     And did MyClass new blah
>
>     and the breakpoint stop....So, can someone explain me what black
>     magic happens with the Workspace?  is something related to the
>     Compiler evaluation ?
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>
>     --
>     Mariano
>     http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

IIRC, code evaluated by doits is always jitted.
Thus you won't hit a breakpoint in method lookup code which is only
invoked by non-jitted calls.

In the second case, statement MyClass blah is jitted, and (as long as
other jitting-conditions have not been met) "TestCase new asdadsadasda"
is interpreted normally, so the breakpoint is encountered.

Cheers,
Henry