[Vm-dev] Got network sockets working in Android Cog

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 04:08:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

I got network sockets to work in my Android port of CogVM with
PharoCore-13137 image.

I made changes to the logic of aioPoll so that it just checks on all
handles once and returns if no I/O operations are ready without any
looping, otherwise calls all relevant I/O handlers and returns.
aioPoll is called as part of ioProcessEvents.

I am able to open Monticello repos, download packages, merge, see diffs etc.

Socket tests mostly succeeded, 2 failed. One for https (I did not
investigate yet how to use SSL in Android NDK, so no surprise it does
not work); another is NetNameResolverTest>>testLocalHostName (also
failed on PC as I just checked so there is something non-related to
Android).

I am trying to run the "Software update" item on Pharo. It seems to
progress, but very slowly (partly because Squeaksource is very slow
from the US). Not sure how long it may take, but I'll try to get it to
complete ;)

Anyway, this is another step towards release.

I have currently these plugins compiled in:

		BitBltSimulation "BitBltPlugin"
		BalloonEnginePlugin "B2DPlugin"
		FileCopyPlugin
		FilePlugin
		FloatArrayPlugin
		FloatMathPlugin
		JoystickTabletPlugin
		JPEGReaderPlugin
		RePlugin
		SecurityPlugin
		JPEGReadWriter2Plugin
		SocketPlugin
		MiscPrimitivePlugin
		DeflatePlugin  "ZipPlugin"

The plugin choice was mostly arbitrary, beyond those really necessary
(Balloon Engine, Socket, etc.)

What other plugins are worth adding and testing before I start
preparing for the release?

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky