[Vm-dev] Got network sockets working in Android Cog

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Aug 30 17:34:59 UTC 2011

On 30.08.2011, at 19:07, Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>
>> No plugin. The VM just emits a Complex event (see Cross/vm/sq.h and iOS/vm/iPhone/Classes/sqSqueakIPhoneApplication+events.m).
>
>> This is modeled very closely on what iOS uses natively. We may want to find a more cross-platform interface, but I have no idea how touch events look in Android.
>
> I have no idea either. Besides, my device does not support multitouch.
> But I see complex events, and if necessary can process them.
>
> PS: Bert, I just saw you note about OLPC XO 1.75 which runs Squeak.

For others:

	http://t.co/bep5HVa

> Just curious what CPU frequency is,

Hardware details are at

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO-1.75

CPU is an 800 MHz Marvell ARMADA 610 SoC.

> what flavor of VM does it run (Cog or Classic)

The VM is the normal Squeak interpreter as packaged by Fedora:

	http://hongkong.proximity.on.ca/koji/buildinfo?buildID=21030

>  and how much 0 tinyBenchmarks outputs - do you have such details?

OLPC XO-1.75, interpreter:

	45,000,000 bytecodes/sec; 1,600,000 sends/sec

For comparison, the interpreter on iPad 1 does

	62,000,000 bytecodes/sec; 1,850,000 sends/sec

- Bert -