[Vm-dev] Fwd: About systemTracer

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 23:13:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> system tracer writes an image 6404 version
> while cog uses 6405
> i dont remember what is the difference between them, can someone remind me?

You mean 6504 (6502 + 2) and 6505 (6504+1).

6502 = the Squeak V3 format with blue-book BlockContext (but _without_
BlockClosure support).
6504 = the Squeak V3 format with blue-book BlockContext /and/ BlockClosure
support.
6505 = the Squeak V3 format with BlockClosure support (but _without_
BlockContext support).

One simple approach is to have the SystemTracer write out an image with the
format of the VM.
This is Smalltalk vmParameterAt: 41

--
best,