[Vm-dev] [ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Feb 2 18:35:01 UTC 2011

On 02.02.2011, at 17:18, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to announce the release of a new version of Cocoa Squeak VM (non Cog), version 5.7.4.

Nice! :)

> My biggest change is that I drop the "b" from the release version, I didn't like it, and I think nobody else likes it :) and also is clear to understand, IMHO. Now you can read the version as: Major Version.Minor Version.Bugfix Version.

Could you make "Smalltalk vmVersion" return that too? This is what John's VM answered:

"Squeak4.1 of 17 April 2010 [latest update: #9957] Squeak VM 4.2.5b1"

There is code parsing the version number. Your VM returns "...] 21.0".

> This release ships with this internal plugins included:

IMHO, the "dangerous" plugins which allow calling native code should not be internal, so they can easily be removed:

FFIPlugin
NewsqueakIA32ABIPlugin
ObjectiveCPlugin

Also, the interpreter VMs used to bundle quite a lot of plugins. Is there a reason you left them out?

- Bert -