[Vm-dev] MiscPrimitivePlugin, translated primitives and ByteString method(s)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:34:27 UTC 2011

The aim of this change is to help fixing the
ByteString>>findSubstring:in:startingAt:matchTable: issue
by moving the selector names , which should be translated from
MiscPrimitivePlugin class to the corresponding classes,

so they could choose which selectors to include.

The problem, that Pharo having the fix for
findSubstring:in:startingAt:matchTable: bug
but this method can't be used for translation anymore because it is
moved to another one:
findSubstringViaPrimitive:in:startingAt:matchTable: , while original
one dispatching to it, after testing that there is no widestrings.

And so, VMMaker can't work on pharo without error, so either a patch
should be applied to VMMaker to change selector from
#findSubstring:in:startingAt:matchTable: to
#findSubstringViaPrimitive:in:startingAt:matchTable: in
MiscPrimitivePlugin , which sucks, because then
VMMaker package become dirty and it is seen in builds and gets into
every source file..

, or if we apply this changeset to our images, then Pharo could answer
different selector, without need
patching anything.

And for future, this pattern could be extended, to seek for all
#translatedPrimitiveSelectors implementors in system, not just in 3
classes.
But that gets us back to discussion about separating
responsibilities... so.. lets try to fix what we have instead.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-November/003364.html

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.