[Vm-dev] Clarification of license statement for SqueakSource VMMaker repository

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Feb 8 22:59:56 UTC 2011

Folks,

The project overview text for the VMMaker project on SqueakSource was
written a number of years ago prior to the full Squeak relicensing and
is now misleading with respect to license, which I believe to be fully
MIT for all code in the VMMaker repository itself. For this reason, I
would like to change the overview to include clarification of license
status as follows:

  "This package incorporates the Smalltalk source code (Slang) for the
  virtual machine, as well as the code generator and toolset for creating
  the Squeak VM portions not handwritten in C (or whatever). The platform
  support code is maintained in a separate repository (currently Subversion
  at www.squeakvm.org). You will need to use a SVN tool to acquire the
  platform support code. See the Wiki page (tab above) for more info.

  License for VMMaker project is MIT. All code contained in this package
  is authored by signers of the Squeak license agreement and/or by persons
  contributing directly to this repository under MIT license terms. All
  new contributions to this project are required to be MIT licensed."

Are there any objections or issues with making this change? If no
objections I will do the update approximately two weeks from today.

Thanks,