[Vm-dev] [Cog] Funny thing about time

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jan 12 18:27:42 UTC 2011

On 12.01.2011, at 19:17, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> So what's the algorithm?  If the time changes by more than half an hour (between the heartbeat sampling the clock) it's a clock change but if its less than half an hour its clock drift.  What threshold value would you use?  10 minutes? Half an hour?  A minute? I'm interested in opinions here This is easy to add and a good idea, but getting that magic constant right is important.

The smallest legitimate difference due to timezone adjustment is 15 minutes (e.g. when you travel between Nepal and India). That should not get ignored, so it is a hard upper bound.

But you want to go as low as possible. When my computer's clock has drifted more than a minute I might want to adjust it, and I'd expect Squeak to catch up. So going below a minute would be good. Do we have evidence what deltas you actually get for a drifting clock?

- Bert -