[Vm-dev] Official VM missing MPEGPlugin

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 14 18:39:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:59:47AM -0500, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> Cog VM includes the MPEGPlugin, but the interpreter VM from
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1/
> does not. It's needed by Cobalt. To test:
>
> - Load up Movies-Kernel and Movies-Player from
>   http://www.squeaksource.com/MultiMedia.html
>   (aside: anyone know of a more official location for multimedia
>   stuff?)
> - Get out an MPEGPlayerMorph (World > objects > Multimedia >
>   MPEGPlayer)
> - press the load button and find your favorite mpeg file. I
>   threw up the one we ship with cobalt in case you don't have
>   one on hand (3.1 MB):
>   http://cobalt.cs.duke.edu/pub/alien.mpeg
> - official VM will get a primitive failure at this point
> - Cog will show the first frame of the video and you can watch
>   it by pressing play

The unix VM includes MPEGPlugin. I'm not sure about the Mac and
Windows VMs, although I would have expected it to be there also.
I am away from Squeak for a couple of days so I can't reproduce
your test right now. Can you clarify which platform this is,
and is the MPEGPlugin missing entirely, or is it present but
not working correctly?

Thanks!