[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 18 13:24:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:09:22AM +0100, stephane ducasse wrote:

> > Just a note of appreciation - keeping the oscog branch numbering
> > (currently at 46) separate from the trunk branch numbering (currently
> > at 216) has been very helpful and much appreciated from my point of view.
>
> David
>
> I'm curious. can you explain you last sentence?
> Because understanding different process benefits is always interesting for me.
>
> Stef

Well, this is more an example of good teamwork than good process. We
currently have two branches of VMMaker in the repository, and this
will be the case for a while as we work towards merging them. Eliot
has been careful to maintain a distinct sequence of mcz file numbers
for everything he has added, and I think that this helps to keep the
confusion to a minimum. So I was just saying "thank you".

Of course Monticello is not designed to rely on file version numbers,
so I don't think that this is something you would want to recommend
as a general practice.