[Vm-dev] Cog VM continuous integration: update

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 12:54:53 UTC 2011

Hello, all.

Last few weeks i concentrated my efforts to make Windows slave working
and merge the updates made by Eliot and
synchronize source with svn.
It took quite a bit time to set up windows slaves (multiple people
were involved). I don't want to go into details, but there was some
technical issues,
as well as complications with connecting windows with non-windows,
firewalls etc etc.
At least now it is working and we can build windows VMs.

A merge also costed me quite of a time, since Andreas reorganized
sources and merged cross and win32 plugin codebase with squeak branch
using of svn:externals.
And while i, no doubt, welcome the merge, i had to spend time learning
how i could mirror that on git.
The only thing which i can say after this: git is superior tool. Its a
pity that i had to waste my time fighting with svn, while its only a
question of couple of minutes
for developer(s) to clone sources from git and start using it instead of svn.

So, after couple of hiccups and show-stoppers now everything more-or
less run smoothly on Hudson, (except from stack vm on win32).

Here the list of builds which currently available for download.

Mac:

Cog/Mac Carbon
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/Cog%20Mac%20Carbon/

Stack VM/ Mac Carbon
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/StackVM%20Mac%20Carbon/

Linux:
Cog
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/Cog%20Unix/
Stack VM/ Unix
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/Stack%20VM%20Unix/

A new kid on the block Windows:

Cog/Win32
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/job/CogWin32/

(the Stack VM has linking problems which is yet to be solved, see my
post on vm-dev list)

To download VM just follow one of the links and then pick the .zip with VM.

As for Mac Cocoa VMs: they are broken for now, because yet unmerged.
Hopefully Esteban will find time to update
his branch soon.

The next step is to run tests for built VMs. For this i planning to
create a specialized package, which will contain code snippets for
because currently all tests are a bunch of .st scripts, and managing
files over dozen of networked machines is not fun.
So, i think i will just take these snippets and put them into single
MC package, so then it could be managed much easier.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.