[Vm-dev] Re: Cog VM continuous integration: update

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Fri Jul 1 19:40:47 UTC 2011

On 01/07/11 8:54 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> The next step is to run tests for built VMs. For this i planning to
> create a specialized package, which will contain code snippets for
> because currently all tests are a bunch of .st scripts, and managing
> files over dozen of networked machines is not fun.
> So, i think i will just take these snippets and put them into single
> MC package, so then it could be managed much easier.

Building VM's on CI server is a great step forward. Thanks for making it
happen.

I'm curious about how to test each build. For a C compiler, typically a
fixed-point is done - i.e. compile the new compiler (yielding stage1
compiler), then use the stage1 compiler to compile the new compiler
again (yielding stage2 compiler). Repeat to get stage3 compiler. The
stage2 and stage3 compiler binaries are supposed to be identical. Then,
in a C/UNIX system, recompiling the OS and tools was a good test suite.

There may be some equivalent thing to do for a JIT/VM + image, but I
can't figure out what it is. Maybe all the method dictionaries need to
be written out in canonical order, then the stage2 and stage3 results
compared. But, that would only test the compiler, not the JIT
functionality. Anyways, just some random thoughts...