[Vm-dev] Cannot build Cog from the "blessed" repo at Gitorious

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 09:19:41 UTC 2011

> There are two build processes: using make and cmake. You mixed them.
> generate.sh is part of cmake building process, but blessed branch
> could contain outdated versions of configuration files.
> I will update blessed soon, since build server using my branch for building
> vms.

+99999 Please, do that.

> Please look at Mariano's blog, he documeted well, how build works.
> http://code.google.com/p/cog/wiki/Guide
>
> I never tried to use make process with blessed repository. Probably we
> should remove it to avoid confusion.

Noooooo. It is the other way around. You SHOULD NOT remove blessed. In fact,
we should all try to use blessed.
Every single guy must be able to git bleesed and compile the VM. The
official repo is blessed, and there should be the code that work with
ConfigurationOfCog.
People should NOT use your own (Igor) branch. That brach should be for you,
to do experiments or whatever. Even Hudson must used blessed. That's the
only way to know if people (all but you) can still build the VM or not. If
hudson fails, all will fail. In this case since Hudson uses your branch, it
doesn't help, because everything looks fine but it is not.

For me, I don't care about git, svn or whatever crap. I DO care that someone
can download stuff and compile the VM. If we start with "ohh yes, but
blessed is outdated and you need XXX version of YYY branch and pharo image
ZZZZ" then we will end up with the same problems of squeak vm with svn.
So...if you really want to get profit of all your spent time in Cmake,
ConfigurationOfCog, etc, then blessed must be always working with its
correct ConfigurationOfCog.

Of curse, you can assume that now the official repo is Igor clone. No
problem. We update all documentation. But this is useless since blessed is
exactly for this.

Cheers

--
Mariano