[Vm-dev] Cannot build Cog from the "blessed" repo at Gitorious

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 09:43:03 UTC 2011

> > +99999 Please, do that.
> >

> $ git push blessed master
> Counting objects: 63, done.
> Delta compression using up to 4 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (38/38), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (39/39), 3.81 KiB, done.
> Total 39 (delta 28), reused 0 (delta 0)
> => Syncing Gitorious... [OK]
> To git at gitorious.org:cogvm/blessed.git
>   2d75ba2..0e41141  master -> master
>
> DONE :)

Excellent :)

> >> Please look at Mariano's blog, he documeted well, how build works.
> >> http://code.google.com/p/cog/wiki/Guide
> >>
> >> I never tried to use make process with blessed repository. Probably we
> >> should remove it to avoid confusion.
> >>

> > Noooooo. It is the other way around. You SHOULD NOT remove blessed. In
> fact, we should all try to use blessed.
>
> Its not about removing the whole blessed repository, i was saying
> about removing makefiles which is in /unixbuild /macbuild etc. To not
> confuse people.
> Or making it work, if it can work with ConfigurationOfCog..

ahhhhhhhh  :)

> > Every single guy must be able to git bleesed and compile the VM. The
> official repo is blessed, and there should be the code that work with
> ConfigurationOfCog.
> > People should NOT use your own (Igor) branch. That brach should be for
> you, to do experiments or whatever. Even Hudson must used blessed. That's
> the only way to know if people (all but you) can still build the VM or not.
> If hudson fails, all will fail. In this case since Hudson uses your branch,
> it doesn't help, because everything looks fine but it is not.
> >
> > For me, I don't care about git, svn or whatever crap. I DO care that
> someone can download stuff and compile the VM. If we start with "ohh yes,
> but blessed is outdated and you need XXX version of YYY branch and pharo
> image ZZZZ" then we will end up with the same problems of squeak vm with
> svn. So...if you really want to get profit of all your spent time in Cmake,
> ConfigurationOfCog, etc, then blessed must be always working with its
> correct ConfigurationOfCog.
> >
> > Of curse, you can assume that now the official repo is Igor clone. No
> problem. We update all documentation. But this is useless since blessed is
> exactly for this.
> >

> Initially blessed was just to reflect the svn repository.

ahh I didn't know.

> Now it
> contains some deltas so, it is not 1:1 copy of svn.
> I was using own branch, because i wanted to keep blessed clean (to
> track svn sources only), and that's why i didn't set up build system
> to use blessed,
> because it won't work in such setup.
>
> Esteban proposed to create a branch for to track svn sources
> separately, while blessed repository will be used as a public source
> of VMs we building/using.
> If everyone agrees with such setup, then i can do the changes.

+9999999

That makes completely sense for me. It would be great to have a specific
clone for tracking SVN and let blessed as the official/working clone.
I would LOVE if blessed could always working and in zync with
ConfigurationOfCog. So that you never need to worry. Always the same
procedure.
And would like also that blessed is the one used for Hudson. Because, as I
say, that is the way that people expect to build the VM, so we can easily
detect when there is a problem.

Sorry for just giving my thoughts without actually do them. But this is what
I can do at the moment.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com