[Vm-dev] New Cog builds available: included Freetype plugin on macs by default

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 14:34:36 UTC 2011

On 6 July 2011 16:27, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Igor: if I understand correctly, there is something extra we should do now while building the VM (this stuff about FT2Plugin). Since Pharo does not use FT2Plugin by default since Pharo 1.0 what abut letting the default plugins as easier as possible for people trying to build VMs?  for those that want FT2Plugin then they can easily do it. Even Hudson can be configured to do:
>> >
>> > | config |
>> > config := CogUnixConfig new.
>> > config externalPlugins: (config externalPlugins copyWith: #MyHackyFirstPlugin).
>> > config generateWithSources.
>> >

>> you don't want freetype plugin to be there by default in configs?
>
> exactly :)
> But it is just my thought.  Change it only if you agree ;)
>

>> Okay, i will change that.
>>
>> But i think freetype is mustbe. As well as OSProcessPlugin.
>> Maybe not in configs by default, but in hudson builds.
>>

> Exactly that was my point: why to add by default a plugin which is not used since 2 years by default and adds problems or extra work?

well, it is not used because we had problems with it. However guys who
using pharo with other than latin-1 set of languages have no other
options.
I don't like that people had to copy a prebuilt plugin from other vms
in order to make it work. We should ship it with VMs , so people could
use it.

> So, -1 to put it in #defaultInternalPlugins or #defaultExternalPlugins and +1 tu set Hudson to add it.

Alright. I will make changes then.

> If OSProcessPlugin is easy to compile as the rest of the plugins, then I don't care to add it to #defaultXXXPlugins.

Good thing that it doesn't requires third-party source code. It should
be much easier to build.
But also, multiple people wants it. And generally, if we could have
this plugin in our vms by default, then we could run build(s)
from image , without need to deal with tedious and bizarre shell scripting.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.