[Vm-dev] building Cog

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 01:20:19 UTC 2011

On 11 July 2011 04:17, JJ Stevens <jjstvns at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 11 July 2011 03:25, John McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Igor, I am reminded that about 8 years back building the Mac VM took
>> > about 20 steps. That I found was about 19 steps too long for an
>> > "average" user to follow.
>> > No disrespect to the folks attempt to build this, but when you have 20
>> > steps then there is just too much chance for a human to fail or for
>> > the other third parties to
>> > throw cold water on you.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately solving this can take a while, I'm sure I struggled for
>> > a month or more refactoring the process into a more simple number of
>> > steps.
>> > So at each point ask youself what can go wrong, and why do I need to
>> > have something manual here? Should there just be a sole command to do
>> > it all?
>> >
>> Look, there are only 4 steps for installing mingw on windows
>> (http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/building-the-vm-from-scratch-using-git-and-cmakevmmaker/)
>>
>> And JJ Stevens refers to step 5.. so i really don't have any clue what
>> he's doing.
>>

> I am talking about the 5 sub-steps for installing the first step you list: MSYS
> http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys
> jj

but there are only 4 of them:

1    Download and install Msys, with C/C++ compiler support:
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys
2    Download and install Git: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
During the installation, I choose the option “run git from from the
windows command prompt”. Optional: add git to the PATH variable so
that you can see git from msys. To do this, add path to git for msys:
    Control panel -> System -> System Properties / Advanced  [
Environment Variables ].   There should be already: ‘C:\Program
Files\Git\cmd’. Add ‘C:\Program Files\Git\bin’  Notice that the path
may not be exactly ‘C:\Program Files\Git\’ but similar…
 3   Install CMake: http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html
(during installation, in install options , make sure that you choose
to add CMake to PATH).
 4   To check if everything is installed, open MSYS program (which
should look like a UNIX terminal) and try to execute the different
commands: git, make and cmake.

(actually 3 because 4 is for checking).

--
Best regards,