[Vm-dev] building Cog

JJ Stevens jjstvns at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 01:22:12 UTC 2011

The first step: "1    Download and install Msys, with C/C++ compiler
support:
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys"

lists the following in its link:

"
Installing MSYS

Up to MSYS 1.0.11, all components of MSYS were distributed in one single
installer you downloaded and ran. While convenient, this made it difficult
to update individual components. So, all the MSYS components are now
available as separate downloads managed by mingw-get (currently alpha
release).

For convenience, you can follow the instructions below to install 1.0.11.
Previous MSYS versions (up to 1.0.11)

These instructions were based on the Enlightenment
Wiki<http://wiki.enlightenment.org/index.php/EFL_Windows_XP>.
Thanks to Vincent Torri for pointing them out.

The total size of the installation of MSYS/MinGW is around 110 MB. Be sure
to have enough space on your hard disk.

   - If you haven't already installed MinGW on your system, install
MinGW<http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MinGW> in
   C:\MinGW. It is better to not install it in the same directory than MSYS,
   though there should be no problem since MSYS 1.0.11. In the installer,
   choose "Download and install", then "Current" (it will install gcc 4.4.0).

   - Install MSYS
1.0.11<http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MSYS-1.0.11.exe>.
   I usually install it in C:\msys\1.0, but you can use any directory that you
   prefer.

Check http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/ for more recent versions
of all these files.

   - Next, the post install process will ask for the directory where MinGW
   was installed to. Enter "c:/mingw". If you make a mistake, you can change it
   by editing the "C:\msys\1.0\etc\fstab" file, make sure to use '*LF* line
   endings. An example fstab may contain:

c:/mingw /mingw
c:/java /java

   - Install MSYS DTK
1.0<http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/msysDTK-1.0.1.exe> in
   C:\msys\1.0.

   - Install MSYS Core
1.0.11<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MSYS/BaseSystem/msys-1.0.11/msysCORE-1.0.11-bin.tar.gz/download>.
   It is an archive. Untar it in C:\msys\1.0.

   - Set the environment variable HOME to C:\msys\1.0\home

Now you should have a cyan "M" link on the Desktop. When you double-click on
it, a terminal should be launched."