[Vm-dev] Update problem [Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-dtl.243.mcz]

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jul 11 12:33:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 01:15:43AM +0000, squeak-dev-noreply at lists.squeakfoundation.org wrote:
> Dave Lewis uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-dtl.243.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-dtl.243
> Author: dtl
> Time: 10 July 2011, 7:15:20 am
> UUID: 08000000-1508-921a-1508-921a14000000
> Ancestors: VMMaker-dtl.242
>
> VMMaker 4.7.0
> Preparation for StackInterpreter integration.
>
> Add NewObjectMemory and related classes required for StackInterpreter.
> Update NewObjectMemory to support 32-64 bit object format from single code base, e.g. 'self bytesPerWord' rather than 'BytesPerWord'.
> Update #isPlatformFloatOrderVersion: to account for 32- and 64-bit image formats.
>
> Class vars and pool vars may need initialization after loading this change (made cosmetic updates to ObjectMemory>>initialize and Interpreter>>initialize to force updates, but if problems arise reinitialize these).

Folks,

I may have caused problems on updating to this version due to moving class
variables to shared pools, which requires recompiling in some cases. In
particular, ReceiverIndex may not be properly initialized, which leads
to a crashing VM. If you have this problem, please do the following:

  Interpreter compileAll.
  Interpreter initialize.

Sorry for the inconvenience.