[Vm-dev] Delays should wakeup the idle process (patch)

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jul 15 23:07:13 UTC 2011

Ok, so after fiddling with this for the last decade let me had over
some words of advice

(a)  the relinquishPhysicalProcessor (whatever it's called) is passed
a value, this value is bogus magic meaningless number
(b) I did attempt to get that number from the Delay logic, but mmm
good luck, the last attempt killed images because it would deadlock on
a mutex semaphore lurking in Delay
(c) That led to the realization you could ask for vm->getNextWakeup()
tick which might be zero some day.
(d) getNextWakeup() might be now() or near now()  and sleeping might
be a bad idea
(e) getNextWakeup() might be now() or in the near past yet we might
get called another 8 times before the smalltalk process lurch awake
(no idea why that is observed).
(f)  Anyway you have some reflect of sleep time once you decide how
large that value has to be.
(g) Isn't it one CPU one process why sleep?
(h) The pthread_cond_timedwait (yes I did that years back) won't fly
because you miss the interrupt from socket/files/UI which leaves to
the odd behavior if squeak is busy good web server, if squeak is idle
the bad web server...   "it always sends at 50 packets per second "

Therefore to sleep you have to use some OS call that let's you sleep
but wake up early when work needs to be done.
So to help befuddle your operating systems come with a variety of
system calls that actually might or might not work.
Off then to consider aioSleep() which does this dance with aioPoll ()
which *cough* has different behaviour if or if there is any file
descriptors open. Oddly an iphone app might not have any open for your
image lacking changeset and no sockets open...

Anyway nanosleep is used as that promises to be more accurate. Then if
it terminates early (don't bother checking) we run the aioPoll.
If of course nanosleep is defective or non-existant, then we ask
aioPoll to do the wait, but that usually has even worse behaviour.
Anyway after nanosleep wakes do the dance and service those sockets
and file descriptors.