[Vm-dev] Re: Delays should wakeup the idle process (patch)

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Jul 16 17:27:02 UTC 2011

Having ported Flow to OS-9 I can agree on all this.

Historical issues were

(a) pthread_cond_timedwait was a pthread_cond_timedwait_NP  meaning
platform specific, maybe that is no longer the case.
(b) select() was supported everywhere
(c) resistance to change
(d) Smalltalk socket implementation has to change (see (c))
(e) Heck I even wrote a translation later for Flow to old socket layer.

Maybe in this decade someone can take another run at it given the JIT
can way outrun the poor socket implementation.