[Vm-dev] Object format(s) as a contract with VM?

Wolfgang Eder edw at generalmagic.at
Fri Jul 29 09:41:19 UTC 2011

hi igor,
i have in the past pondered this question many times,
and have not yet come to satisfying conclusions.
the big question (for me) is where exactly to draw the
line. what are the assumptions that are fixed,
and what not. i mean, e.g.

what would be the interface (contract) that the garbage
collector would use?

is there a contract to the object memory itself
(e.g. allocate new memory, make an object fixed in memory,
etc)?

can we extend not only object representations, but
also compose different object memory strategies
(like, object table vs direct pointers)?

just my thoughts,
thanks
wolfgang