[Vm-dev] [Cog] Proposal: get rid of checks if files should be regenerated

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:37:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> just a proposal.
> A full VMMaker sources generation under cog vm takes less than 1
> minute, in fact even less:
>
> [ CogMacOSConfig generateWithSources ] timeToRun 24919

You miss the point.  By not regenerating e.g. interp.h one avoids
recompiling every file in the VM when one does a C compilation.  If every
time one regenerates the CoInterpreter one also regenerates interp.h then
all the files in the VM will be recompiled even though only CoInterpreter
has changed and needs recompiling.  I build three VMs (production, assert,
debug) for each of three platforms (Mac, WIndows, linux).  So avoiding
regenerating unchanged header files turns out to be rater valuable.

Make sense now?

--
best,
Eliot