[Vm-dev] Rant about generated files: should they stay in repository?

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Mar 11 23:22:20 UTC 2011

Guess where: https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Cog/

>> And it could have been done with much less effort:
>> Check out svn, fire up an image with a script to generate the sources
>> from VMMaker, configure, make, and it's done. But you didn't like this way.
>>

> Of course i don't like. I don't care if it works for you. I can build
> VMs wihout much stress.
> And you can do that too.
> Now just don't tell me that regular squeaker/pharoer can do that,
> especially when
> he needs to modify VM a little and generate the sources.

Let's make it very clear: This is what an automated build system has to
do. This should have been obvious from my response. People can open the
image or download the generated sources ;).

> It never worked out of the box.. or maybe its just for me?.. maybe i
> am so unlucky that i had to fix one or two things
> each time i wanted to build VM. Always had a pain figuring out, which
> VMMaker version could be used with which SVN revision.

It didn't work for you, because you checked out the latest platform files
and some older (non-matching) generated sources.

Levente