[Vm-dev] VM Automated builds update

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Mar 15 15:40:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Andrew Gaylard wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 03:08:17PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> On 15 March 2011 15:00, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Will there be any automated builds of the stable non-cog VMs?
>>
>> If someone could adopt it , then why not.
>> I simply don't have time for it. Sorry :(
>>
>> We decided to go with Stack and JIT Cog into future, and leave old VM behind.
>> It is too much time and energy to maintain 3 different VMs on 3+
>> different platforms.
>
> Hi Igor,
>
> Thanks so much for getting the auto-builds going.
> This will help greatly with keeping the codebase
> "real" (i.e. identifying patches which break the build).
>
> I've been waiting on the sidelines for an official
> release of the new VM before taking it for a spin;
> our code still expects the 3.10-4 VM.
>
> So do the new VMs require a x86 CPU? -- we've been

Currently only the x86 code generator is implemented for the JIT.

> running on SPARC under Solaris.  If so, then a final
> release of the "traditional" VM would be wonderful.

On Solaris you should run the Unix VM. Version 4.4.7 was recently released
by Ian and I doubt it's a "final release". You can download the source
code for that release from here:

http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.4.7.2357-src.tar.gz

Levente