[Vm-dev] VM Automated builds update

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Mar 15 16:35:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>> The main functional differences between SqueakVM and StackVM are:
>> - StackVM requires 6505 images (maybe 6504, i'm not sure) while SqueakVM can
>> execute 6502, 6504 and 6505 images.
>
> not a big deal. I think everyone aware that Cog using newer image version(s).

Not a big deal, for you.

Someone just mentioned, that they're using 3.10-4 VM on Solaris, so they
don't use newer image versions. We also have some Squeak 3.9 images
deployed and we're not planning to upgrade them yet. The latest Etoys and
Cobalt releases use the old image format.

>> - StackVM's plugins (same for Cog) lack fixes compared to SqueakVM. For
>> example SoundPlugin doesn't work at all on Windows, SocketPlugin lacks the
>> IPv6 changes on all platforms, etc
>>

> So, someone has to diff & port them..

Oh, thanks for the info, I thought they will merge themselves
automagically.

Levente