[Vm-dev] VM Automated builds update

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Mar 16 01:49:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:22:27PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> >> not a big deal. I think everyone aware that Cog using newer image
> >> version(s).
> >
> > Not a big deal, for you.
> >
> > Someone just mentioned, that they're using 3.10-4 VM on Solaris, so they
> > don't use newer image versions. We also have some Squeak 3.9 images deployed
> > and we're not planning to upgrade them yet. The latest Etoys and Cobalt
> > releases use the old image format.
> >

> Well, if people decided to stick with old images, it is their choice.
> And once they decide to migrate,
> then there is a way to do that. I see nothing complicated there.
>
> Either you stay with old MS-DOS, and run your application using DosBox , or
> you run it on x64 compiled using modern compiler. The choice is always yours :)

For whatever it may be worth, I intend to continue supporting the traditional
interpreter VM to the best of my ability for the forseeable future. I also
intend to help as best I can to support Cog and hopefully to help merge
code bases and reduce redundancy where possible. Finally, I think that the
work Igor is doing for automated builds is very valuable.

Let's be glad for the progress that is being made with new VMs and new
build processes, but please do not assume that this progress comes at
the expense of all that has come before. It just ain't so.

$0.02,