[Vm-dev] VM Automated builds update

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 21:02:13 UTC 2011

>> You can continue to bash us saying that we are nasty newbies. Right now we are building an **open** and welcoming architecture
>> to sustain real open development VMs. This is ok that you do not like it, this is ok too that you bash us. If this helps you feel better
>> I cannot do much about it.
>
> Did I bash you? No, I said it's "nice and great".

Excellent then :)

>> We want VMs to be maintained not just a small (tiny, microscopic) club of people that may be
>> distracted/not willing to communicate/not have the time to build a vms. We want to make sure that if a guy has time to improve a vm he will not get frustrated because of millions of stupid details: this is what is called software engineering (vs. handcraft). Having a solid automated process is the key to progress in constraints resources. We want to minimize risk for business.
>
> Great.
>

>> Also we want to send a clear message to smart C, assembler people that lurk at our technology: they are welcome to participate and help
>> because the architecture is open. They do not have to ask for a blessing (knights period is over). They can clone, hack and push/share changes and people can cherry pick the changes without having to have the permissions to publish.
>
> That sounds good, but it may not be true.
> Do you mean that there won't be official VM releases anymore?
> Or if there will be, then who will decide which changes/features will be included in those?

apparently you do not really understand what is a distributed source management system.
this is not because people can clone code and publish their own fixes that there is not somebody in charge of taking decision to integrate a fix or not. Now with git or system like that people can publish integrated code and VM maintainers can cherry pick the changes. In addition, imagine the near future where we will have automatic regression tests about all the produced VMs. then
suddenly we will know the impact of a change. Now since we do not have any regression tests it is more difficult to control quality.
Finally of course this may create a bit of noise but the most important aspect is that if somebody was in capability of helping but
did not because of time constraints or other, the current set up can help this person to join effort.