[Vm-dev] Running tests for auto-built Cog VMs

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 01:21:27 UTC 2011

On 18 March 2011 01:30, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all.
>>
>> Our next plan is to extend the Hudson build jobs with tests which are
>> run after VM has built.
>>
>> I'd like to ask, what kind of tests we should run for VMs.
>>
>> So, here's my questions:
>>
>> - do we need a VM specific tests? Or we just use ordinal tests which
>> are in image(s) by default?
>
> SOme of the standard tests in the Squeak 4.2 suite are specifically for VM stuff.  The entire suite depends on the VM in some way.  It seems straight-forward to include tests for specific pieces of functionality, for example the mirror primitives, cannotInterpret: and objects-as-methods.  Adding tests that test new VM functionality is clearly more than a good idea; it should be de rigueur.
>

>> - in case if we need to run VM-specific tests, is they are available
>> somewhere or not? do we need to create separate package/repository for
>> holding them?
>
> Check out a 4.2 image and look at the tests.  The organization might not be perfect but it's there.

You mean non-VM-specific tests, just those which lying in image(s)?

Yes, that's the first thing which comes into mind. And sure thing for
start it is ok.

For example, Hudson runs tests for PharoCore1.3 image, each time new
update there.
https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/view/Pharo/job/Pharo%20Core%201.3/

It is easy to tweak this config and run it using freshly built VM(s),
one per each platform * JIT/Stack/MT configs.

But i wonder if we may need to be more focused and create some package(s)
 to group tests around VM or its individual plugins.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.