[Vm-dev] Cog/JIT/Stack/VM .. executable names

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 22:03:16 UTC 2011

Hello,

there is an explosion of different kinds of VM we're building today..
and i think it would be nice to use different names for them.
Currently i am using following naming scheme:

- VMs based on StackInterpreter:
  StackVM

- VMs with JIT
  Cog

- VMs with JIT + MT
  CogMT

i am open for suggestions of giving better/proper names.

Maybe for end-user it is not important to use different names
(squeak.. yeah.. this is squeak.. who cares)..
but when testing VMs and/or opening older images with proper VMs it
turns into a puzzle game.
Also, i think that Cog is good name and executables deserve to carry
this name (instead of squeak or croquet).
That's why i'm not questioning whether new VMs should use different
names. I am only questioning which names we should use :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.