[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.52.mcz

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon Mar 21 01:52:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:26:20AM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> Except that its my branch and I've been using oscog from the start.  Igor
>> had no need to use the same name line as me.  I don't want to change now.
>>  oscog refers to my branch of VMMaker for "open source Cog".
>
> It's not really open source if nobody else can contribute to
> that branch. Squeaksource apparently allows versions to be

Open source ~= open repository. (It's funny that squeaksource.com has lots
of repositories with MIT license and "No access" setting.)

> overwritten. I didn't know that either. Maybe that's part of the
> reason the naming convention has been adopted:
> Package-author.version
>
> The best supported convention for maintaining a branch is to use
> a different repository. MC is distributed, so packages can be
> merged between repositories no problem.

If the idea is to merge the two branches, then it's unnecessary.

> So http://squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-IgorStasenko.53.mcz
> would be a trunk commit, and
> http://squeaksource.com/OSCog/VMMaker-IgorStasenko.54.mcz would
> be a cog commit.
>
> Changing the package name is not really supported; Most MC
> implementations can't merge between packages (MC1.5 could, but I

Yeah, that's pretty annoying.

> havn't ported that to any MC that's actually in use)
>
> I like seperate repositories better anyway; then you can know if
> there is a newer version of your branch available just by seeing
> if VMMaker package is bold in the repo browser; if they are in
> the same repository, you have to pay attention to the commits

If you save directly to the repository, then MC will warn you if there's
a newer version there, if you copy your package from another repository,
then it won't.

Levente