[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-users] Get "Invalid utf8 input detected" error for a filename

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 18:09:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Henrik Johansen <
henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2011, at 4:15 26PM, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have similar problem when running pharo from windows user with russian
> letters in login.
> > Debugger opened in SecurityManager stuff during image startUp procedure.
> > I ask in past why pharo/squeak doing SecurityManager logic. But without
> explanation.
>
> It's hard to tell with that as the only info.
>
> F.ex:
> If you're using Cog, it's because it doesn't convert encoding, but returns
> your codepage-encoded bytestring.
> If you're using Non-Cog, it's either because you
>        a) use a Locale in Pharo with non-UTF8 systemConverterClass.
> SecurityPlugin on Windows always returns utf8 strings.
>        b) Use Unicode characters in your name  that have have no
> representation in your local codepage.
>        SecurityPlugin uses the non-W api function to get your username,
> then does codepage -> UTF8 conversion, instead of using the W version and
> doing UTF16 -> UTF8 conversion.

Clearly we need to do a careful merge of the
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms tree with
http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms tree.  There are important
improvements from Cog:
- time based on 64-bit microseconds
- better crash/logging stack backtrace reporting
- concurrent lock-free external semaphore signalling
- threaded stdio
- vm version info
- others?

There are necessary support functions for Cog
- heartbeat
- making method zone executable

There are a raft of Teleplace-specific changes.  I'm not sure which ones we
want to cherry-pick.  Andreas, I'd appreciate any views you have here.  But
things like the host-window and sound plugins I think we have to simply
discard the Teleplace changes.  I don't have the cycles to maintain or port
these improvements as typically they require a more specific environment
than the current environment of the standard Squeak VM.

I'm happy to do this work; it will just take time (I've at least merged my
VMMaker with trunk VMMaker's HostWindowPlugin and SoundPlugin but have yet
to commit).  I'm very happy to discuss with others who want to have a go at
doing this themselves.  But I would like some editorial control; at least a
chane to review.

best,
Eliot