[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-users] Get "Invalid utf8 input detected" error for a filename

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 18:36:28 UTC 2011

On 24 March 2011 19:09, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Henrik Johansen <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:
>>

>> On Mar 24, 2011, at 4:15 26PM, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have similar problem when running pharo from windows user with russian letters in login.
>> > Debugger opened in SecurityManager stuff during image startUp procedure.
>> > I ask in past why pharo/squeak doing SecurityManager logic. But without explanation.
>>
>> It's hard to tell with that as the only info.
>>
>> F.ex:
>> If you're using Cog, it's because it doesn't convert encoding, but returns your codepage-encoded bytestring.
>> If you're using Non-Cog, it's either because you
>>        a) use a Locale in Pharo with non-UTF8 systemConverterClass. SecurityPlugin on Windows always returns utf8 strings.
>>        b) Use Unicode characters in your name  that have have no representation in your local codepage.
>>        SecurityPlugin uses the non-W api function to get your username, then does codepage -> UTF8 conversion, instead of using the W version and doing UTF16 -> UTF8 conversion.
>
> Clearly we need to do a careful merge of the http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms tree with http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms tree.  There are important improvements from Cog:
> - time based on 64-bit microseconds
> - better crash/logging stack backtrace reporting
> - concurrent lock-free external semaphore signalling
> - threaded stdio
> - vm version info
> - others?
> There are necessary support functions for Cog
> - heartbeat
> - making method zone executable
> There are a raft of Teleplace-specific changes.  I'm not sure which ones we want to cherry-pick.  Andreas, I'd appreciate any views you have here.  But things like the host-window and sound plugins I think we have to simply discard the Teleplace changes.  I don't have the cycles to maintain or port these improvements as typically they require a more specific environment than the current environment of the standard Squeak VM.
> I'm happy to do this work; it will just take time (I've at least merged my VMMaker with trunk VMMaker's HostWindowPlugin and SoundPlugin but have yet to commit).  I'm very happy to discuss with others who want to have a go at doing this themselves.  But I would like some editorial control; at least a chane to review.

Don't worry , mr Hudson will do some editorial control :)

To dear Everyone:

it would be nice to gather information about changes we need to port
from Squeak VM to Cog.
I propose to slowly fill the cog issue tracker with separate entry per plugin.
I really lack of specific information about it, because i were not
part of VM development process before,
and while i can help with hacking things around, before hacking it
would be good to know what exactly requires attention :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.