[Vm-dev] what to do with old carbon based plugins?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 26 18:10:13 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 12:39:06PM -0300, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
> I started to build some needed external plugins (they are being build with Cocoa CogMT)... but I found some plugins still using carbon lib (SerialPlugin, MIDIPlugin)... and also, there are some others (B3DAcceleratorPlugin) who I didn't include it because uses carbon very intensively.
>
> So, I wonder how to proceed with this plugins?
> I would like to have a "carbon clean vm", so I prefer to gently ask to the plugin owners to rewrite their sources to not use carbon.
>
> What do you think?

Hi Esteban,

I think that these issues are in the platforms support code, so I fear
that the plugin owner might be you at this point ;-)

I'm afraid that I am not knowledgeable about OS X development, but I
know that in many cases John has been able to adopt code from the
unix platforms tree for things like this. Maybe other people with
OS X expertise can volunteer to help also?