[Vm-dev] Error compiling Cog.

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:19:27 UTC 2011

On 30 March 2011 16:00, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 3:56 PM, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> but why (ConfigurationOfCog project version: '1.3') load
>>> does not work?
>>>

>> because it has versions of VMMaker that doesnt match with the latest in git. So, if today you load the latest from git, and using 1.3, you cannot compile
>>

> What I mean is that there could have been changes in the "platform" code, which is in git, and that the VMMaker expect those changes. If you load the last platform code from git, it has those changes. But if you load an old version of VMMaker, then it expects "older" platform code.

Exactly.
And LoadVMMaker.st script placed there exactly for eliminating the
problems when you unable to determine which VMMaker version works with
given sources snapshot.

This is a link between git snapshot and sources which stored outside
of it (in SqS/VMMaker or elsewhere).
And by having this link, we can reproduce an image and then generate
source files, so we don't need to put a generated sources under
source-control anymore.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.