[Vm-dev] Error compiling Cog.

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 15:22:14 UTC 2011

On 30 March 2011 16:51, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 30 March 2011 16:00, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > What I mean is that there could have been changes in the "platform"
>> > code, which is in git, and that the VMMaker expect those changes. If you
>> > load the last platform code from git, it has those changes. But if you load
>> > an old version of VMMaker, then it expects "older" platform code.
>> >

>> Exactly.
>> And LoadVMMaker.st script placed there exactly for eliminating the
>> problems when you unable to determine which VMMaker version works with
>> given sources snapshot.
>
> WOW. That's awesome. I didn't know about that.

Heh.. i were talking about that from very starting ;)

> Last thing...instead of havign to load an specific version of CMake by
> hand....why not integrate such package under ConfigurationOfCog ?

Because i not quite handy with Metacello. I using metacello as a
trained monkey. :)
I just took what was already there and modified it a bit to make sure
it loads without errors into pharo images.

> if you don't want  to put it in the default group, no problem, but at lesat you can
> define a new group like 'VMakerWithCmake' so that we can do:
>

> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfCog) project
>     version: '1.5') load: 'VMakerWithCmake'.
>
> and that's all :)

So, if you know how to do that, please do. And i will happily integrate it.

I'd like to note to everyone:

 - an automated build process works, but its not perfect. (but its
much better than we had before ;)

So, a criticism and help or ideas how to improve it is welcome.

> Another idea is to put in the #description of each version of
> ConfigurationOfCog, which is the expected version of git to work. I used to
> do this wtih SVN and ConfogurationOfVMMaker.
> this way we can map from the other side ;)
> even more...in the description you can directlty put which sohuld be the git
> command.

Well, that will be unnecessary, because multiple git snapshots may
work with same configuration.
(You may fix or change some platform code, which not requires any
changes on VMMaker side).

This means that my scheme keeps correspondence in direction
source => VMMaker

in that way for each source snapshot you know which version of VMMaker
you should use.
But not in reverse order.

--
Best regards,