About insulting developers (Was: Re: [Vm-dev] VM Maker: CMakeVMMaker-StasenkoIgor.104.mcz)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 17 08:29:50 UTC 2011

On 17 May 2011 10:00, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 5/17/2011 9:27, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> Do us all a favor and leave out these derogatory comments. They are *not*
>>> helpful.
>>>
>> :)
>> Well, i can't resist putting it like that, because i lost like 1 hour
>> trying to understand why it was broken again.
>
> I understand what you mean but the thing you need to learn is that there's a
> big difference between a muttered curse and a public comment. A check-in
> comment that is being reposted in archived mailing lists is something that
> people read. Treating your fellow developers without respect is a great way
> of ensuring difficult relationships in the future. Nobody likes being called
> names, or derogatory comments about their code, not you, not me, not anyone.
> There is no reason to call MultiByteFileStream MultiByteCrapStream other
> than an intentional insult to the original author(s). Insulting people in a
> public forum is a great way to destroy relationships. Just ask your boss.

I disagree.
I do respect the people's energy which they spent implementing all
this stuff, because apparently i'm using it every day
and it works (most of the times ;).

Such strong wording was to point on problem & amount of pain i had
with it, but again, nothing to do with my attitude towards author(s)
who implemented it.
I separating these things and i hope others too.

It was i, who were insulted, offended and lost time dealing with this
code. So why i can't express myself appropriately to situation? :)

Because i tend to say and hear truth about the quality of code
(including my own , of course).
Seriously, why we should fear to offend someone by calling a crap what is crap?

If next day, someone would call my code crap, my first reaction will
be to ask - why, where and how to improve that. But not to put that
person in black list.
Because i value criticism. It helps you to get higher, above your own limits :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.