[Vm-dev] Re: Having trouble with 4.2 on Linux

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed May 25 16:59:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 09:00:45AM -0700, Ken Causey wrote:

> Levente said:
>
> >The error message is correct, you should specify the return type as long.
> >There's no int type in FFI, probably because it's ambiguous (even in C)
> >and unnecessary.
>
> Thank you Levente.  This was enough to get me farther and have the
> method compile.  If I were planning to do anything serious with this I
> would certainly use trunk and take advantage of your fix, thanks for
> that also.
>
> I've fiddled with it a bit and the best result I have gotten so far is
> if I implement my AnFFITest class as a subclass of ExternalObject and
> put my method on the class side:
>
> testRand
> 	"simplest test I could think of"
> 	<cdecl: long 'rand' ()>
> 	^self externalCallFailed
>
> This fails with 'unable to find function address'.  Perhaps rand isn't a
> function or I need to do something more to indicate that the function is
> a libc function, or I've made some other mistake.
>
> Separately David has suggested that for my self-built VM I specify -m32
> but if I do that with cmake/configure -CFLAGS=-m32 configure fails with
> 'no suitable type found' with the top of the stack 'vm/config.cmake:71
> (TEST_BIG_ENDIAN).  In all likelihood I'm not doing this right and I
> will continue to look around.  However even with the normal build cmake
> gives a stern warning that we are using an accidental and deprecated
> feature (The source directory .../unix/npsqueak does not contain a
> CMakeLists.txt file).  I'm using cmake 2.8.4 and I wonder if cmake has
> moved beyond our currently cmake configuration.

I think you can ignore the stern warning regarding npsqueak. I see that
all the time, and since I'm not building npsqueak anyway, I ignore the
fact that no CMake configuration has been written for it.

I recently switched PCs and for some reason have not gotten the 32 bit
libraries (especially sound) installed properly, so I have not been building
32-bit VMs lately (64-bit works fine for everything I do anyway). But
if you have enough of the 32-bit libraries installed, building with -m32
*should* work. Sorry I'm being a bit unhelpful here as a result.