[Vm-dev] working directory under Mac OS X

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:55:10 UTC 2011

Hi Andreas, Matthew, John, (Hi All),

    I'm getting my house in order, merging the Newspeak VM into the OSCog
platforms hierarchy.  One big difference between trunk vms (and Newspeak)
and Qwaq VMs on Mac OS X is that in the Qwaq VM there is an early chdir to
the directory containing the .app, whereas in the non-Qwaq VMs the directory
is left as is.  If you look at
http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Mac OS/vm/sqMacMain.c you'll
see that this chdir has been commented-out, so there was a point when it was
in standard VMs.  Andreas, Matthew, do you think the Qwaq behavour is
important to preserve?  John, what's the history of this?  Should I even
bother trying to maintain the Qwaq behaviour and instead disable it in all
builds (Qwaq, OSCog, Newspeak)?

best,
Eliot